Keratin Treatment Singapore – The Ultimate Guide
The eternal quest: healthy and frizz-free hair
Many people dream of long and straight hair that doesn’t frizz up at the slightest detection of moisture in the air!
Think Monika from Friends!
The elements – sun, pollution, chemicals, blow drying and more – can take a huge toll on hair, which then leads to weak, unhealthy and frizzy strands.
For years, men and women turned to flat irons and oil treatments to keep their hair straight. These straightening methods, however, were temporary and time-consuming. In the last 10-15 years, those who had had enough with curly and frizzy hair began to flock to salons.
Here, they were introduced to a promising and new solution called a “keratin treatment,” sometimes also referred to as a “Brazilian keratin treatment.” In time, these treatments were popularised and created for home-use, so that anyone could use them, in the comfort of their own home.
If you’ve ever been curious about keratin treatments, how they work, and how they can help reduce your curls, frizz and unruly locks, then read on. We will explain the benefits of keratin treatments, how they work, what types of hair they work on and how to do your own keratin treatment at home.
Main benefits of keratin treatments:
- Get rid of curls and frizz
- Make your hair smooth and straight
- Lock in moisture and doesn’t let more in
- Drastically reduce your time getting ready
- Add a shiny glow to your hair
- Strengthen your hair by filling in the damaged bits
A little bit about keratin
Keratin is a protein that occurs naturally, and is found in hair, skin and nails. Keratin gives hair its strength and protection. With this fibrous protein, hair is protected from environmental damage, such as the sun, pollution, hair drying and other daily activities.
If hair strands are porous and unhealthy, they are much more likely to be damaged. This is why keratin is so important – it fills in these holes! It replenishes the strength of the hair and locks the hair in, which prevents moisture from getting in and causing frizz.
What are keratin treatments?
Keratin treatments are an excellent way to straighten and smooth your hair for a long-term effect. Treatments can be done at a salon or at home. There are several ingredients and steps for a keratin treatment, which may change slightly between brands. Ingredients usually include a clarifying shampoo, keratin treatment solution and sulfate-free shampoo.
Keratin treatments can be done at a salon or at home, both of which have great results. This short little video gives you some quick facts about keratin treatments and how they work.
Video “5 Things to Know About Keratin Treatments”:
Who should use keratin treatments ?
For those who want to have a keratin treatment to tame their unruly hair, it is recommended for people with curly, wavy or frizzy hair. However, keratin treatments are more than just straightening treatments. They can be used not only to straighten hair, but also to strengthen it and protect it from the environment.
All types of hair work with keratin treatments: Caucasian, Latina, African-American, Caribbean, Asian and any others. Thicker hair will require more product, but the treatment works, no matter the type of hair.
Is it safe to do a keratin treatment at home?
Yes, as long as you follow the instructions carefully. When doing a keratin treatment at home, you should always wear gloves and have proper ventilation. Many fervent supporters of keratin treatments have turned to social media to share their tips for doing keratin treatments themselves. Although they are not salon professionals, the results speak for themselves!
A step-by-step guide to home keratin treatments:
So, are you ready to carry out your very own keratin treatment? Follow these steps and get strong, smooth and beautiful hair you can be proud of!
What you’ll need:
- Clarifying shampoo
- Keratin treatment/product
- Blow dryer
- Flat iron
- Wash your hair with a clarifying shampoo. This deep cleans your hair and makes sure it’s totally clean before you apply the keratin treatment. It is recommended to wash your hair twice to make sure that all the impurities are gone. Do not use conditioner, as it will stop the keratin treatment from working correctly.
- Dry your hair to about 80%. A little moisture is ok, but you want most of your hair strands dry.
- Put on your gloves. Be careful, the chemicals can be damaging to your skin!
- Divide your hair into several sections. Four sections is a common recommendation.
- Apply the keratin treatment to each section with your hands. Use a comb to makes ure the product is evenly distributed from root to tip.
- Check your specific instructions for how long to leave the product in. This is usually around 45 minutes.
- Blow dry your hair until it is completely dry.
- Divide your hair into small sections and flat iron each one five times. This ensures that the keratin treatment is absorbed with heat. Your sections should be small so that every strand is guaranteed to be ironed five times.
- Leave the keratin treatment in for 48 hours. This is the time that is required to for the keratin to work its maximal effect. Do not put your hair up, use hair accessories or tuck hair behind your ears during this time. It must be kept straight, or else it will take the form of whatever is holding it – barrettes, elastics, ears…
- After 48 hours, wash your hair with a sulfate-free shampoo. This shampoo is gentler than normal shampoos and will reduce the amount of keratin that is stripped away with each wash.
Note: These instructions are general and may vary slightly between brands. We recommend that you consult the instructions specific to your purchased brand.
Which keratin treatments should you buy?
With its rising popularity, there has been a large increase in the brands of keratin treatments available in salons and on the Internet. At Hair Pro Direct, we have high standards for our beauty products and therefore only accept trusted brands. We offer some of the most popular brands available, both for professionals and home users. Our brands include: BK Excellence, Bien Cacau, Eternity Liss, G.Hair, Honma Tokyo, Inoar, Onyliss and Salon Pro Brazil.
How do I maintain my keratin treatment?
Keratin treatments generally last around 3-4 months. There are several things you can do to keep your hair in tip-top condition after a keratin treatment. For maximum effectiveness, use a sulfate-free shampoo, which is gentler on your hair and will not strip away the keratin. Hair should not be washed everyday, because natural oils keep it strong and healthy.
Whether you go to a salon to have it done, or complete it yourself, you are sure to love the results when it is done!
BOOK YOUR KERATIN TREATMENT SINGAPORE APPOINTMENT!
Look no further, visit our Hera Hair Beauty salon and have a consultation with one of our professional international hairdresser to discuss how our bespoke Keratin Treatment will work for you.