Aloe Vera is a soft and tender plant that can be found in the tropics around the world. Aloe vera has gel-containing fleshy leaves that are used for different purposes as natural remedies.
The Aloe vera plant is famous as a remedy for sunburned skin and different surface wounds; however, unfolding research is beginning to reveal new health benefits.
Because of its nourishing vitamins and moisturizing properties, aloe vera is widely known as a relieving element for both dry skin and hair. Studies have revealed that it could be useful in treating dandruff. Further, the same emerging studies also indicate that aloe vera compounds can also be used to improve healthier hair.
The following shows the advantages of the aloe vera hair mask, formulas, and procedures for creating one, plus different other ways that the natural ingredient can be used in the hair.
The advantages of using the aloe vera hair mask.
There have been very few studies to examine the advantages of aloe vera to the hair. However, a trusted source has demonstrated that aloe vera can be useful in different ways due to its:
- Anti-inflammatory activities that can help minimize the irritation,
- Its moisturizing properties,
- Fatty acid and enzyme that could help fight off inflammation,
- Vitamins E, C, B-12, choline, and folic acid content which can also strengthen and nourish the hair,
Does aloe vera has a particular hair type that is suits?
There are not yet any studies that indicate whether aloe vera is most excellent for a particular hair type. But hair care experts could advise you to apply aloe vera for the following conditions:
- oily hair
- damaged, or oily hair,
- natural hair,
- curly hair
The best way to knowing if the aloe vera gel works on your hair is to try it. There could be a film left once you apply the gel to your hair; therefore, you should ensure that you thoroughly wash it out after using it as a hair mask or as a hair conditioner.
Processes involved in the making hair mask from aloe vera
- The hair mask is a type of treatment that can be beneficial to the hair in many ways.
- Since the hair masks usually conditioning agents and more oils than the everyday conditioner, and they are left in the hair for an extended amount of time, they encourage more potent healing and fix damages more effectively than your typical hair care procedure.
- Hair masks are available either online or at physical drugstores. Furthermore, you could also formulate one of your own.
- Coconut oil and aloe vera gel can be mixed to get a simple and effective hair mask. When you use coconut oil on your hair, it could soften the texture and enhance its shine and strength. It can also be useful in minimizing frizziness.
The following procedures can be used to create the mask
The home-made coconut and aloe vera hair mask
- Get your ingredients together: 2 tablespoons of gel from aloe vera either store-bought or fresh) plus one tablespoon of oil. If coconut oil is what you plant to use, you should opt for the virgin variant of the coconut oil at standard room temperature. The microwave can be used to melt down the solid coconut oil.
- Mix by stirring the aloe vera and oil together until you get a blended and smooth paste.
- It would be best if you protect your clothing by using an old shirt or towel.
- Put the mask on your hair by using your fingers. When you divide the long hair into parts, this could simplify the application process.
- Start the application of the oil at the middle shaft and work this towards the tips. If you are done working the masks towards the hair ends, you should go back and gradually work this into the scalp. But, if you were using the mask to treat dandruff, you should start from the scalp.
- The moment you are done putting on the hair mask uses a comb with a wide-tooth to comb it. This helps in evenly spreading the mask throughout the hair.
- Get your hair covered by using a plastic wrap or the shower cap. You can then tie a towel around this to hold the mask to the head. This stops dripping from the mask; this is also used to dry out the hair. When you warm up the hair, this will give the mask a more moisturizing effect.
- You can have on the mask for half an hour. This can be left on for close to sixty minutes to get more conditioning.
- Get water to rinse out the mask from the hair. You may want to wash the hair to ensure that you completely remove the mask because aloe vera tends to leave back a filmy residue on the hair.
You could substitute the typical hair conditioner using this mask like every week to help enhance the hair’s health.
Important note: This recipe can be doubled easily to get thick or lengthy hair.
Variations of the recipe
The different ingredients can be used when creating your home-made hair masks. These additional aloe vera-based recipes can be used.
Using apple cider vinegar and aloe vera
This formula is useful for a scalp that is itchy and flaky. Certain people say that apple cider is also helpful in battling dandruff as a natural-based remedy.
To create this type of mask, combine the following:
- Four tablespoons of aloe vera gel
- Two tablespoons of vera gel
- One tablespoon of honey (optional) (honey is used to retain moisture in the hair, plus it is also a smoothening element).
Follow the instructions for the application of the coconut and the aloe vera mask recipe with the following exceptions:
- Start putting the mask at the hair scalp.
- After 20 minutes, get the mask rinsed out.
- This mask should be applied every fortnightly.
Yogurt and aloe vera
Based on a study in 2017, it was demonstrated that yogurt contains probiotics that can help treat dandruff. Select the unsweetened, straightforward, and full-fat Greek yogurt. If you want to create the mask, you must blend:
- Two tablespoons of yogurt
- Two tablespoons of gel from aloe vera
- Two tablespoons of honey (optional)
To use this mask, follow the above instructions; however, the mask should not be left on for a period between 20 and 30 minutes. To get the most excellent results out of this, you need to use this weekly.
Are there risks involved?
It is generally considered safe to apply aloe vera gel to the head; however, certain people may have allergic reactions to the plant. People that are allergic to onions or garlic can be possibly allergic to aloe vera.
People that have never tested the aloe vera paste on their hair or skin before now should conduct a patch test before applying it. To perform the patch test, you have to add a little gel to a bit of area in your skin on the wrist or the elbow’s inner parts.
If you cannot see any swelling, redness, or itching after several hours of application, this means that you can safely use aloe vera in your hair mask.
People who apply steroid creams like hydrocortisone should consult with their healthcare practitioner before using aloe vera in that same area. The aloe vera can help the skin to absorb more quantity of the creams.
Other methods of using aloe vera in the hair
Apart from a study conducted in 1999 that demonstrated that aloe vera could relieve dandruff, there is not enough research to show the benefits that aloe vera brings to the hair. But anecdotal evidence indicates that the gel from aloe vera is frequently used to:
- Condition and strengthen the natural hair,
- Support the growth of the hair,
- Help make natural curls,
- Retain moisture,
- Minimize frizziness,
- Helps in detangling the hair,
How you can get aloe vera
It is effortless to find aloe vera. People who live in a tropical and dry climate could have aloe vera growing in your building yard. Or it could be growing in your neighbor’s house.
Furthermore, pre-cut leaves of aloe vera can be obtained at lots of stores for natural foods.
One of the most excellent ways to get a clean gel of aloe vera is to do the extraction yourself. You can extract the gel from fresh aloe vera leaves. You only need a relatively large counter space, a knife, and a bowl to get the gel extracted from the aloe vera leaves.
When you are done scooping the fresh aloe vera gel from the leaves, the gel can be stored in a sealed vessel. The vessel can then be kept in the fridge for close to one week. Or it can be frozen for it to last for a long time.
For people who can not see leaves of aloe vera or do not want to extract the gel all by themselves, the aloe vera gel can either be purchased online or drugstore.
If you were to buy an aloe vera gel, know that it can contain added ingredients like lavender or different herbs, medications, or thickening agents. Some of these ingredients may not offer any advantage of the har; therefore, get a gel with few added ingredients as much as you can.
People may know aloe vera the most due to its properties to soothe sunburn problems. However, it can also be put to other users. It can be applied to the skin as well as the hair.
Nevertheless, there could be little evidence about aloe vera benefits to the hair, but is becoming a common ingredient used in conditioners and hair masks to promote hair repair, smoothening, moisturizing, and strengthen the hair.
People who want to make their personalized DIY masks to nourish their hair can think of putting aloe vera in the form of an ingredient. If they have never used the aloe vera gel before now, they can conduct a patch test beforehand to ensure that the plant does not cause them to have allergens.